Unlike analog systems which broadcast surveillance footage in a stream, IP is 100% digital – individual frames of video information compressed and transmitted individually.
- With a higher resolution, more detail is possible in captured images.
- Ability to zoom in without losing clarity – particularly useful when looking at facial detail or license plate information.
- This information also means that video can be captured at a much wider angle without any loss of fidelity. (less cameras per coverage area)
- Compression is much simpler and visual noise elements are greatly reduced.
- Cameras are often powered via the Ethernet cabling used to transmit the video image (PoE). This allows for cleaner installations and fewer bulky power supplies during installation.